Screen Queensland has officially launched an exciting development initiative called Screen Queensland (SQ) PROJECTOR.
SQ PROJECTOR offers four filmmaking teams the opportunity to fast-track their feature film project into production through a workshop that is focused on story development and market outcomes.
SQ PROJECTOR is being presented by Screen Queensland and will be convened by renowned story consultant Wendall Thomas alongside Screen Queensland development staff.
Applications are open to teams (producer, writer, director) with a commercially focused, dynamic feature film screenplay. Scripts must be at least at first draft stage.
Working in partnership with Screen Australia and the 37° South market in Melbourne, four drama projects with commercial potential will undergo thorough development before attending the 37° South market in July 2015.
Once selected, the four teams will meet in early May and attend a four day workshop, after which they will deliver a new draft and begin to formulate a market strategy. The teams will meet again in late July to continue the development process and prepare for the 37° South market, which takes place 31 July – 3 August 2015.
Applications close Friday 13 March 2015
KEY DATES + APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
Applications close: Friday 13 March 2015
Successful applicants notified: Friday 24 April 2015
First workshop: Monday 11 May – Thursday 14 May 2015
Second workshop: Saturday 25 July – Tuesday 28 July 2015
37° South market: Thursday 30 July – Sunday 2 August 2015
WHO CAN APPLY?
• SQ Projector is open to Queensland filmmaking teams with at least two members of the team bona fide Queensland residents.
• Projects that intend to shoot in Queensland will be viewed more favourably in the formal assessment process.
• Directors need to provide links to previous work, but should have no more than one credit as director on a commercially released feature film.
• Producing teams can include more experienced producers in mentor/EP roles, but should be led by a producer with no more than one feature film credit.
• All participants (producer, writer and director) must be available to attend the two workshops in Brisbane (11-14 May + 25-28 July 2015) and producers must be able to commit to travelling to Melbourne for the 37° South market between Wednesday 29 July – Sunday 2 August 2015.
• Screen Queensland will provide flights and accommodation for regional and interstate participants to attend the two workshops (up to three individuals) plus will provide flights and accommodation (no PDs or other expenses accommodated) for the four producers to attend 37° South in Melbourne, Victoria.
WHAT DO I NEED TO PROVIDE IN ORDER TO APPLY?
All applications must include:
– The latest draft of the screenplay
– CVs for all members of the team
– Links to the director’s previous work
– A statement from the producer outlining their financing, market and development strategy for the project, including details of any sales agents and/or distributors who are aware of the project
– Notes from the writer outlining next steps for development
– Director’s notes
HOW WILL MY APPLICATION BE ASSESSED?
All applications will be assessed on the following criteria:
– The strength, originality and commerciality of the idea or concept
– The track record of the team
– The quality of the storytelling
– The development strategy and the team’s understanding of the steps required to take the script and project forwards
– The potential of the project to reach its specified audience (including an assessment, where applicable, of cast and market attachments)
– The potential of the project to be realised on its specified budget (including an assessment of production and development budgets relative to that audience)
– The potential benefit to the Queensland screen industry
HOW DO I APPLY?
Screen Queensland has moved its application process to a new online system. You can apply online at https://screenqueensland.smartygrants.com.au/SQProjector
Please allow for system down time or internet service provider problems when completing your application and save the application regularly.
Please note late applications cannot be accepted.
Screen Queensland reserves the right to not accept incomplete applications.
An automated application email will be sent to you within 30 minutes as confirmation that Screen Queensland has received your application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to contact Screen Queensland if you do not receive an application receipt email.
WHO IS THE SQ PROJECTOR CONTACT?
Director – Development | Screen Queensland
Phone: (+61) 7 3248 0500
WENDALL THOMAS bio