Epic Games has partnered with Screen Queensland and other state screen agencies to launch the Unreal Engine Short Film Challenge, an opportunity to secure funding towards production of animated short film.
Queensland content creators can apply to Screen Queensland for up to $50,000 production funding to create an animated short film of up to five minutes, using Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 5 software.
Screen Queensland will fund one Queensland project.
Epic Games will offer a series of free training sessions to anyone interested in learning about Unreal Engine 5 from 11 April to 29 April 2022. Discover more via Unreal Engine’s website.
Unreal Engine is a state-of-the-art real-time engine and editor that features photorealistic rendering, virtual production and much more, allowing filmmakers to conceive and execute visual storytelling without leaving their homes!
This challenge will allow content creators to explore real-time animation. These short films have the potential to be used as a proof of concept for a larger project and may be eligible for additional funding for further development.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
You must be an Australian individual or company. Please view our Terms of Trade for eligibility requirements.
Applicants and all key creatives must be Queensland residents.
WHAT PROJECTS ARE ELIGIBLE?
What projects are eligible?
Animated short films with a narrative that will use Unreal Engine 5.
Projects are to be a minimum of 90 seconds up to a maximum of five minutes in length (including credits).
What is not eligible for this program?
- Your project cannot be a playable game prototype or interactive game experience
- Projects that are designed primarily for educational or training purposes
- Projects commissioned by either government or private entities
- Projects that can be classified as, infotainment, reality television, magazine shows, variety, light entertainment, how to, sports telecasts, news, current affairs, corporate or promotional media, training videos or community television shows
- Projects where the applicant team does not own the IP rights, licenses, or necessary materials to produce the project.
WHAT CAN YOU RECEIVE FUNDING FOR?
All stages required to produce your short film, including:
- Script development
APPLICATION CRITERIA & DETAILS
Your application will initially be assessed by our Program Managers.
A shortlist of applications will be provided to Epic Games and its industry partners for selecting the successful applications.
Decisions will take into account the Assessment Criteria listed below, Screen Queensland’s availability of funds, diversity of the projects and teams
The project will be assessed by reviewing the following:
- The strength and distinctiveness of the idea
- The commercial viability of the project as a proof of concept
- The experience and ability of the team to successfully deliver the project
Diversity and Accessibility considerations:
- How the project content encompasses gender equality, diversity and inclusiveness
- How the selection of the project team (confirmed or planned) encompasses gender equality, diversity and inclusiveness
What happens if you are successful?
You can expect a decision on whether you have been selected six weeks from the deadline date, via email or phone.
Successful applicants will enter into a standard, non-negotiable agreement with Screen Queensland, setting out the terms and conditions of the approved funding, including deliverables and credit requirements
You will have eight weeks to create your short film from Monday 27 June to 19 August 2022.
You will be required to take some behind the scenes footage and images of you utilising the software.
Your finished short film and Unreal Engine project file must be delivered to Screen Queensland and Epic Games by 19 August 2022.
What happens if you are unsuccessful?
We will contact you to let you know if you have been unsuccessful in obtaining funding.
You are welcome to get in touch with the Program Manager, to receive feedback on your application.
What will help your application?
- Read these guidelines and the Terms of Trade which set out the core terms on which Screen Queensland conducts its business.
- Review the online application form – make sure you have all required documents ready to be submitted with the application.
- Make sure your application speaks to the Assessment Criteria (set out above)
- Read Screen Queensland’s Gender & Diversity Statement. Screen Queensland is committed to promoting and supporting gender equality, diversity and inclusiveness in the Queensland Screen industry.
- Applications not received by the deadline date will not be accepted for that round, as per our Terms of Trade.