The Production Attraction Incentive aims to attract footloose screen projects to undertake the production of the project in Queensland. Projects are considered footloose where they have a genuine production destination alternatives.
Application Form and Deadlines
(The below dates are in AEST)
|Application Deadline||Board Meeting|
|Wednesday, 3 March 2021||Wednesday, 14 April 2021|
|Wednesday, 5 May 2021||Wednesday, 16 June 2021|
|Wednesday, 7 July 2021||Wednesday, 18 August 2021|
|Wednesday, 1 September 2021||Wednesday, 13 October 2021|
|Wednesday, 27 October 2021||Wednesday, 8 December 2021|
Production Attraction Incentive aim
The Production Attraction Incentive aims to attract footloose and fully finance screen projects to undertake production in Queensland.
The objectives of the incentive are to:
- increase the level of screen production in the State of Queensland;
- increase skills development and employment opportunities for Queenslanders working in the screen sector; and
- increase business activity for Queensland based companies.
For projects solely undertaking post/VFX production in Queensland see our Post, Digital and Visual Effects Incentive guidelines.
This incentive program is open to all Australian and international producers, production companies and studios with screen projects that:
- are spending a minimum of AU$3.5 million on qualifying Queensland Production Expenditure (QPE) in Queensland;
- are footloose (i.e., there is evidence of genuine interstate or international production destination alternatives);
- have evidence of genuine marketplace interest for commercial release or distribution; and
- are engaging a majority of screen industry practitioners who are Bona Fide Queensland residents.
Please read the incentive guidelines for the full eligibility requirements.
The incentive amount will be at the discretion of the Screen Queensland Board and is subject to the availability of funding at the time of application. The incentive is calculated as a percentage of the qualifying QPE. A full definition of qualifying QPE is available here.
Applications for the Production Attraction Incentive are assessed in accordance with the incentive guidelines, with a focus on the following criteria:
- Economic Benefits – Will the project deliver economic benefits to Queensland (e.g. inward investment (qualifying QPE) and onward economic benefits)?
- Industry Benefits – Will the project deliver industry benefits to Queensland (e.g. opportunities for businesses and screen practitioners to secure work, to promote growth and success, and for training and skills development)?
- Tourism Benefits – Will the project deliver tourism benefits to Queensland (e.g. destination profiling, and publicity initiatives)?
- Community Benefits – Will the project deliver community benefits to Queensland (e.g. community engagement and cultural opportunities)?
Applications must be made online through Screen Queensland’s SmartyGrants system. The application is available to preview prior to starting.
During the application process applicants will be required to provide key information and documentation. A full list is available in the incentive guidelines (download the pdf above).
Please contact Naomi Wenck (Production Attraction and Investment Director) with any questions regarding the application.
The Everyone Project
The Everyone Project
As a member of the Screen Diversity and Inclusion Network (SDIN), Screen Queensland uses The Everyone Project to benchmark and track the diversity of the Australian screen industry.
The Everyone Project is an easy-to-use survey and reporting tool that invites people working on current projects to self-identify on a set of characteristics to help us benchmark and track the impact of work to diversify the talent and crews working in the screen industry.
Productions supported through Screen Queensland must register with The Everyone Project and, with appropriate consent, provide their cast and crew’s names, roles and contact details so that they may be invited to participate in voluntary, de-identified demographic surveys.
Learn more about The Everyone Project
Screen Queensland is keen to help you put forward your best application, so please contact us should you have any questions.
Naomi Wenck, Production Attraction and Investment Director
+61 7 3248 0500