The Production Attraction Incentive aims to attract footloose film and television projects to undertake the physical production of the project in Queensland through the provision of a grant. Projects are considered footloose where they have a genuine production, post-production or VFX destination alternative.
Explore the guidelines below or download a copy here
Production Attraction Incentive aim
The Production Incentive aims to attract footloose film and television projects to undertake the physical production of the project in Queensland through the provision of a grant. Projects are considered footloose where they have a genuine production, post-production or VFX destination alternative.
A grant may be offered for projects undertaking physical production in Queensland. For projects solely undertaking post/VFX production in Queensland see our Post Production, Digital and Visual Effect Incentive guidelines.
How much can I apply for?
The funding amount will be at the discretion of Screen Queensland and is subject to the availability of funding at the time of application.
Screen Queensland will consider the following when determining the level of funding:
- The project’s total expenditure in Queensland on approved production elements
- The number of employment opportunities for Queensland based screen practitioners and companies
- The economic impact of the project in Queensland
- Any other factors that Screen Queensland consider relevant to meeting the overarching objectives of the Production Attraction program and Screen Queensland
Who can apply and what is eligible?
This funding program is open to all Domestic and International Producers.
Generally a minimum of $3.5 million must be spent in Queensland on approved production
Approved elements include the following:
- Payments to Queensland screen industry practitioners, residents or companies for goods and services provided in Queensland in connection with the physical production of the project in Queensland.
- Salaries and other expenses paid to, or incurred in relation to, any Queensland residents engaged on the project.
Project must be one of the following types of production:
- Fiction: feature film, television including subscription platforms (telemovies, mini-series, pilots or series)
- Documentary: feature film, television series (one-off or series)
Who can apply?
A production company or Special Purpose Vehicle which has:
- Evidence of genuine interstate or international production destination alternatives for your project
- Evidence of genuine marketplace interest for commercial release or distribution of your project.
- A project engaging a majority of screen industry practitioners who are Queensland residents.
What project are ineligible?
The following production types are ineligible to receive a Production Attraction Incentive:
- Variety programs and light entertainment
- Sports and current affairs programs
- Television commercials
- Short Films (less than 60 minutes)
- Community Television
- Student Films
Projects in receipt of any other incentive from Screen Queensland including Production Investment or Post Production, Digital and Visual Effects Incentive are ineligible.
Applications from federal or state government departments or entities are ineligible.
Applications for a Production Attraction Incentive MUST be approved by SQ prior to the commencement of production.
Funding cannot be sought retrospectively. An application will be considered to be retrospective if production has already commenced.
Applications for the Production Attraction grants are assessed in accordance with these guidelines including the objectives of the fund outlined below:
- Increase the level of film and television production in the State of Queensland.
- Increase skills development and employment opportunities for Queenslanders working in the screen sector.
- Increase business activity for Queensland based companies.
Preparing your application
All incentive applications must be made prior to commencement of production.
Applications must be made online through SQ’s SmartyGrants system, you can preview the application form here.
During the application process you will be required to provide:
- Business and production information including project summary, title, filming dates etc.
- Total production and post-production budget.
- A finance plan and breakdown of expenses/ salaries
- The names of key creatives/ personnel and cast if available.
- Details of the Queensland facilities and services you will use as well as possible alternatives.
Please allow for system downtime or internet service provider problems when completing your application and save the application regularly.
An automated application email will be sent to you within 30 minutes as confirmation that SQ has received your application.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to contact SQ if you do not receive an application receipt email.
Application, administration and contracting process
Assessment and offer process
Following receipt of the application, the application will be assessed against
A recommendation will be made following the assessment which will proceed to
the relevant delegated authority.
Subject to approval of the recommendation, and funding availability, a
letter of offer will be sent to the applicant.
On acceptance of the letter of offer, contracting will begin.
Contracting must be completed prior to work commencing.
Accepting a Grant
Successful applicants will be sent a letter of offer with the grant amount available for their production and outlining the next steps.
Applicants who accept the grant offer will then be required to enter into an agreement with SQ outlining specific deliverables that will be required.
Your contract with SQ will set out the terms and conditions of your grant, including requirements that:
Your project achieves the agreed production spend in Queensland
You provide delivery materials to Screen Queensland on completion of the project
You provide Screen Queensland with an appropriate and agreed credit
Successful applicants will be expected to assist SQ and the Queensland Government in relation to publicity and media opportunities during the productions filming in Queensland.
Your incentive application and any grant approved by SQ is treated as commercial in confidence by SQ.
Successful funding applicants must provide detailed reporting and acquittal information on the activities undertaken, which will be negotiated between the successful applicant and SQ at the time of contracting.
Payment of Grant
Incentives will be paid after the completion of the production and following full acquittal of contracted delivery items and an audit.
Payment of the grant will only be made on the receipt of a valid Tax Invoice.
IMPORTANT: Documents to read before you apply
You must read our Terms of Trade, QPE definition and our corporate and strategic plans before preparing your application.
SQ is keen to help you put forward your best application, so please contact us should you have any questions.
+61 7 32 480 500
Mobile +61 418 855 404