Our Ideas Program invests in projects at concept or later stage development that are looking to secure marketplace investment or progress to production.
For example, this might include option fees, draft revisions, a writers’ room, engagement of a script editor, production of a proof of concept trailer, budget and schedule fees, however what you request investment support for will be entirely dependent on the needs of your project.
It’s good to keep in mind that SQ typically directs its funding towards elements that directly benefit Queensland talent.
Explore the Ideas guidelines below
What the program covers
This program applies to stories at the concept or later stage development.
Projects can receive support more than once through this program with a maximum of $100,000 over the lifetime of the project.
How much can I apply for?
- Projects at concept stage – up to $7,500
- Later stage projects – up to $25,000. To access later stage investment, you will need to demonstrate matched/significant contributory funding from the marketplace (this can’t be you and has to be a good match for your project).
The maximum amount of development investment a project can request over its lifetime is $100,000
Please note 110% investment is recoupable on the first day of principle photography
Who can apply?
The Ideas Program is open to anyone who:
- Lives and works in Queensland (and has been a resident of the state for more than six months);
- Is an Australian resident working with someone in a key creative role (writer, director, producer) who lives and works in Queensland;
- Can provide the required detail/documents for the program they are applying for – more information can be found on each of the program pages
- Owns the rights to the story they are telling
- Has read and complies with our Terms of Trade
Preparing your application
Ideas program applications can be submitted any time and you will typically receive an outcome in six weeks.
You can preview the application form on Smarty Grants.
Your proposal will need to include a:
- Logline – your idea in a sentence
- Short pitch – your idea in one page
- Creative materials relevant to the stage you are at – e.g. for Later Stage this might include scripts, bible, proof of concept, trailers
- Creative plan – how are you going to bring this idea to life on screen?
- Audience plan – who is your audience and how will you reach them?
- Commercial plan – your plan for financing and monetising your idea
- What you plan to spend the funding on and details of any co-funding. For Later Stage projects, this will need to include matched/significant contributory funding from market (that can’t be you and has to be a good match to your project).
- Team – the CVs and bios of the people who have agreed to be part of your project
Legalities – things you must have:
- Rights to the story – tick the box
- Option agreement and/or the approval of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander owners of the story
- Writers/key creative agreement
What is SQ looking for?
Your proposal will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Is it a good story?
- Is it well-told and likely to excite an audience?
- Does the team have a clear idea of who their audience is and how to reach them?
- Is the budget appropriate for the kind of project and the size of the audience it will reach?
- Does the team have a good reputation for delivering what it says it will and the skills to make this happen?
- How will this impact the careers of Queensland talent and the state screen sector more broadly?
We seek to support the creation and growth of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander screen content, practitioners and representation across our industry and state. Additionally, we are committed to ensuring diverse representation across all aspects of the production and development process, including differences in gender; age; Aboriginal identity; cultural and linguistic diversity; disability; sexuality and gender identities, including lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex (LGBTQI+), location (including regional and remote areas); and socio-economic status.
IMPORTANT: Documents to read before you apply
You must read our Terms of Trade, QPE definition and our corporate and strategic plans before preparing your application.
SQ are keen to help you submit the best application you possibly can, so please feel free to call or email us should be need assistance.
Call us on 07 3248 0500 or email email@example.com