Our Finance Program is for screen stories seeking finance so they may head into production or game development.
Applications for under $100,000 can be submitted anytime. Submissions for projects seeking more than $100,000 must coincide with board dates, listed HERE
Games Development rounds are biannual. The most recent round closed 3 April 2020. Please subscribe to our enewsletter or follow us on social media to receive updates on the upcoming round.
Explore the guidelines
What the program covers
This program invests in the production of screen stories across all screen platforms, including games.
The rights-holding producer/game developer must apply to this program and all projects must have a Queensland producer or line producer attached.
Finance program applications for films or series seeking under $100k can be submitted at any time, however those requesting more than $100k need to be submitted in line with SQ’s board cut off dates.
Applications for games occur in specific round. The current round is open from 23 February 2020 and closes 3 April 2020.
How much can I apply for?
- Up to $50,000 for games
- Up to $850,000 for other screen stories, in the
- Size of the audience
- Overall budget
- Spend in Queensland (as a guide your ask should be no more than 8% of state spend for a commercial project or 15% of state spend for a cultural or career-building project with substantial benefits – beyond the spend – to Queensland)
- Other financing partners and their commitment
Investments through the Finance Program are recoupable.
Who can apply?
The Finance program is open to anyone who:
- Lives and works in Queensland (and has been a resident of the state for more than six months);
- Is an Australian resident working with someone in a key creative role (writer, director, producer) who lives and works in Queensland;
- Has a Producer or Line Producer who is a Queensland resident;
- Can provide the required detail/documents for the program they are applying for – more information can be found on each of the program pages
- Owns the rights to the story they are telling
- Has read and complies with our Terms of Trade
Preparing your application
Finance program applications for film or series for under $100k can be submitted at any time.
Finance program application for film or series for more than $100k need to be submitted in line with SQ’s board cut off dates.
Finance program applications for games occur in specific rounds. This is closed for 2019.
Your proposal will need to include:
- Creative materials incl. logline, one-pager, scripts
- Project plan (incl. proposed schedule/timeline, director’s vision, benefits to Queensland)
- Audience plan (incl. competitor and market analysis for games)
- Confirmation of all market, cast and key attachments
- Finance plan, commercial plan and recoupment structure
- A-Z Budget including Queensland Production Expenditure (QPE). Use the template available at the Screen Australia document library or use the Games budget template for games applications.
- Team – cvs and bios of the key creatives involved in your project, director showreel
Legalities – things you must have:
- Rights to the story – tick the box
- Option agreement and/or the approval of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander owners of the story
- Writers/key creative agreement
- Supporting documents for the finance plan incl. Provisional certificate for projects applying for the Producer Offset, completion guarantee etc.
What is SQ looking for?
Your proposal will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Is it a good story?
- Is it well-told and likely to excite an audience?
- Does the team have a clear idea of who their audience is and how to reach them?
- Is the budget appropriate for the kind of project and the size of the audience it will reach?
- Does the team have a good reputation for delivering what it says it will and the skills to make this happen?
- How will this impact the careers of Queensland talent and the state screen sector more broadly?
We seek to support the creation and growth of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander screen content, practitioners and representation across our industry and state. Additionally, we are committed to ensuring diverse representation across all aspects of the production and development process, including differences in gender; age; Aboriginal identity; cultural and linguistic diversity; disability; sexuality and gender identities, including lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex (LGBTQIA+), location (including regional and remote areas); and socio-economic status.
IMPORTANT: Documents to read before you apply
You must read our Terms of Trade, QPE definition and our corporate and strategic plans before preparing your application.
SQ are keen to help you submit the best application you possibly can, so please feel free to call or email us should be need assistance.
Call us on 07 3248 0500 or email email@example.com